Comune di Grone
The green fields of the mountain passes of San Fermo that overlook the valley and take one’s breath away
Grone extends from the banks of the river Cherio right up to the mountain pass of San Fermo. This mountain, situated between the Val Cavallina and Lake Iseo, overlooks the entire valley as well as the plain beyond, with its majestic but tapered bulk, covered in green fields and pastures.
A recent initiative to create and mark out trails suitable for all has made it into a great place for hiking, as well as for more extreme sports, such as mountain-biking, horse-riding, paragliding and hang-gliding.
As with all the towns of the Val Cavallina, the period of greatest development in Grone was the Middle Ages, when it was at its most splendid. There are still three towers dating from this period which show its importance at the time; this was when the powerful Suardi family was still dominant. During excavations for the reconstruction of the parish church in 1928, the remains of a fortified building came to light, probably a castle of which all trace had been lost. Inside this same church, which was rebuilt on the site of a little church dating from the 14th century, there are some paintings by Cavagna and prized wooden intaglio works. Of particular interest is the mill of Acqua Sparsa, the last active water mill of the entire valley.
The current wooden structure of the mill dates from 1930 and is powered by a combination of hydraulic force and electricity.
Also of interest:
From 1928 to 1947 the town was united with the neighbouring municipalities of Borgo di Terzo, Berzo San Fermo and Vigano San Martino, forming a municipal district known as Borgounito.
Municipality of Grone
Area: 7.83 square kilometres
Altitude: 388 metres above sea level