Comune di Vigano San Martino
From traces of the Paleolithic era to the architectural remains of the Middle Ages
Passing over onto the right hand side of the river Cherio, you will find the Buca del Corno at Vigano San Martino, where remains have been found attesting to the presence of humans here as long ago as the Paleolithic era: a human burial place, furnished with a pierced tooth and a bronze brooch, the bones of various animals (hyenas, bears, deer and wolves), all dating from around 8,000 years ago.
The Middle Ages left their mark on Vigano too: indeed, it is still possible to make out traces of a castle (in the area of the current parish church) and diverse fortifications.
In more recent times, at the beginning of the 20th century, the town was united with its neighbours, the municipalities of Borgo di Terzo, Berzo San Fermo and Grone, assuming the name Borgounito, but this was maintained only until 1948 when the towns were divided again. Of particular interest is the parish church of San Giovanni Battista, constructed in the Romanesque style in 1535, which re-used a corner of the castle as its campanile, or belltower. It adopted its current shape after being restructured in the 18th century. It contains numerous frescoes and paintings, but most prized is an altar from the Fantoni School.
Municipality of Vigano San Martino
Area: 3.65 square kilometres
Altitude: 363 metres above sea level